All High Schoolers Eligible for Costas, Ryan Awards
The National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association (NSSA), in partnership with Young Broadcasters of America (YBA), is honoring NSSA Hall of Famers Bob Costas and Bob Ryan with the High School Sportscaster (Costas) and High School Sportswriter (Ryan) of the Year Awards.
All current high school students (including home-schooled) are eligible for the Awards, which will be presented at the 54th Annual NSSA Awards Banquet, in Salisbury, NC, on June 10, 2013. Each winner and a guest will be provided round trip transportation, lodging and meals for their overnight stay.In addition to being a current high school student (enrolled in classes between Sept. 2012 and May 2013), entrants must also enroll in the NSSA/YBA student membership program ($49.95/annual fees – to enter, go to bottom of this page).
- All standard NSSA student membership benefits (go to nssafame.com/membership for details)
- Eligibility for the Bob Costas High School Sportscaster of the Year Award
- Eligibility for the NSSA-YBA Bob Ryan High School Sportswriter of the Year Award
- Participation in Sunday’s National Young Sports Center Talk Show (created live at YBA studios)
- Online access to monthly newsletter, webinars and specials
- Video critiques (3 per year) by NSSA or YBA professional members
- Discounts to YBA training lessons and webinars
Must be a current high school student (enrolled in classes between Sept. 2012 and May 2013),
Must be a current NSSA/YBA student members at the time of entry submission ($49.95/annual fees – to enter, go to bottom of this page).
Sportscaster: must submit 5-minute (maximum) video that includes examples of play-by-play, feature reporting, video blog. To enter video for Bob Costas Sportscaster of the Year, go here.
Sportswriter: must submit a game story and an opinion column(no more than 750 words each). To enter material for Bob Ryan Sportswriter of the Year, email to email@example.com.
Deadline for entries: February 1, 2013
Finalists announced: March 1, 2013
Winners announced: April 1, 2013 (Winners will be notified by phone or email)
Presentation of awards: June 10, 2013 at the 54th Annual NSSA Awards Banquet in Salisbury, NC
- At the time of entry, entrants are deemed to have read, understood and be in agreement with all the rules, regulations and disclaimers. NSSA and YBA reserve the right to rule on any issue(s) not covered by the rules and regulations. The decisions of NSSA and YBA are final. In the event that the entrant should disagree with any decision made by NSSA and YBA, the entrant will have the right to withdraw their entries and all related expenses shall be borne solely by the entrant.
- All entries become the property of NSSA and YBA and will not be returned.
- The entrant grants permission to show, duplicate or play entries as NSSA and YBA deem appropriate.
- Under no circumstances will judges be held responsible for any comment, viewpoint or expression, whether expressed or implied, concerning the standard or quality of an entrant’s submission.
- By signing the entry form entrants agree not to bring a claim against the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Hall of Fame, National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Foundation, any NSSA or YBA employee, or any contest judge, in relation to feedback on their submission.
- If any network, cable or local broadcast station agrees to air an entry on the news or any other program relating to the Costas and/or Ryan Awards, NSSA or YBA will first obtain permission to broadcast from the entrant, who must then agree to obtain any permissions or clearances and to absorb talent or other residual charges incurred by the inclusion of their entry in the program, as required.
- In order to promote Costas and Ryan Awards, each entrant authorizes NSSA and YBA to screen, publish or put online the award show entries and winners.
- NSSA and YBA may prepare and distribute a digital format handout of all Costas/Ryan awards finalists and winners. This copy would be sold/rented/shown for educational and reference purposes only, and purchasers would agree not to duplicate, sell or broadcast any portion of it.
- Neither NSSA nor YBA shall be held liable for loss of any entry, for any reason whatsoever.
- Anyone using a credit card that is not his/her own MUST have permission from a parent or legal guardian to use said card.